Research and Teaching:
I am a health services researcher. My research is focused on team-based primary care with an emphasis on understanding how interprofessional primary care teams can support older adults and individuals with chronic conditions to live in their neighbourhoods and communities. A key focus is working with Oasis Supportive Living (Oasis) - a program designed by older adults to support aging in community. Other focuses include integrated health systems, program evaluation and interdisciplinary education and practice. I employ mixed-methods in my research and work closely with communities and health systems.
I am cross-appointed to the Department of Family Medicine and member of the Centre for Studies in Primary Care.
- Supporting Optimal Aging in Neighbourhoods and Communities
- TEAM - Interprofessional Primary Care Lab
Articles (recent - selected):
- Mofina, A*., Tranmer, J., Miller, J., & Donnelly, C (2023). The association between receipt of home care rehabilitation services and acute care hospital utilization in clients with multimorbidity following an acute care unit discharge: A retrospective cohort study. BMC Health Services https://bmchealthservres.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12913-023-09116-0
- Donnelly, C., LeClair, L., Hand, C., Wener, P., & Letts, L. (2023). Occupational therapy and Primary Care: A scoping review. Primary Health Care Research and Development 24(e7), 1-18. https://www.cambridge.org/core/services/aop-cambridge-core/content/view/0FB5D398C51A07769A1580812AB5FB93/S1463423622000123a.pdf/occupational-therapy-services-in-primary-care-a-scoping-review.pdf
- Tran, T*. Finlayson, M., Trothen, T., Nader, E., Donnelly, C. (2023) Mindfulness-based stress reduction for community-dwelling older adults with subjective cognitive decline (SCD) and mild cognitive impairment (MCI) in primary care: a mixed-methods feasibility randomized control trial, BMC Primary Care, 24 https://bmcprimcare.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12875-023-02002-y
- Donnelly, C., Mills, C.*, Gill, S., Maha, K., & Ashcroft, R. (2022). The experience of primary care teams during the early phase of COVID-19: A qualitative study of primary care practice leaders in Ontario, Canada. BMC Primary Care, 23 https://bmcprimcare.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12875-022-01907-4
- DePaul, V., Parniak, S., Hand, C., Rudman, D., Letts, L., McGrath, C., Richardson, J., Cooper, C., Nguyen, P., Bayoumi, I., Tranmer, J. & Donnelly, C. (2022). Identification and engagement of naturally occurring retirement communities to support healthy aging in Canada: A methodology. BMC Geriatrics, 22 https://bmcgeriatr.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12877-022-03045-z
- Parniak, S., Frymire, C., DePaul, S., DePaul, V., & Donnelly, C. (2022). Naturally Occurring Retirement Communities: A
- Mills CM*, Parniak S, Hand C, McGrath C, Rudman D, Chislett C*, Giberson M*, White L*, DePaul V, Donnelly C. (2022). The impact of a naturally occurring retirement community supportive services program on older adult participants’ social networks: a qualitative study. JMIR Aging, 5(4), https://aging.jmir.org/2022/4/e37617/
- Donnelly, C., Ashcroft, R., Bobbette, N., Mofina, A*, Mills, C*., Williams, A*., Vader, K*., & Miller, J. (2021). Interprofessional primary care during COVID-19: Provider perspectives. BMC Family Practice, 22:31. https://bmcprimcare.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12875-020-01366-9
Conference Abstracts (past year - selected):
- Donnelly, C., DePaul, V., Parniak, S., Bayoumi, I., Cooper, H., Hand, C., Letts, L., Mackenzie, J., McGrath, C., Richardson, J., Rudman, D., Tranmer, J. (2021). How does a naturally occurring retirement community with supportive programming impact health utilization. Canadian Association for Health Services and Policy Research Conference. Virtual.
- Donnelly C, Parniak S, Bayoumi I, Cooper H, Dopking S, Hand C, Huynh T, Laliberte Rudman D, Letts L, McKenzie J, Nguyen P, Prowse A, McGrath C, Richardson J, Tranmer J, DePaul V. (2022). Naturally occurring retirement communities: Facilitating social participation and healthy aging. World Federation of Occupational Therapy Congress. 27-30 August 2022. Paris, France.
- Donnelly C, Parniak S, Bayoumi I, Cooper H, Dopking S, Hand C, Huynh T, Laliberte Rudman D, Letts L, McKenzie J, Nguyen P, Prowse A, McGrath C, Richardson J, Tranmer J, DePaul V. (2022). Occupation-based programming in naturally occurring retirement communities: The impact on health utilization patterns in older adults. World Federation of Occupational Therapy Congress. 27-30 August 2022. Paris, France. Accepted.
- DePaul, V., Parniak, S., Bayoumi, I., Cooper, H., Dopking, S., Hand, C., Huynh, T., Laliberte Rudman, D., Letts, L., Mackenzie, J., Nguyen, P., Prowse, A., McGrath, C., Richardson, J., Tranmer, J., Donnelly, C. (2021). Fostering healthy aging in NORCs: A study protocol for a multiple explanatory case study. 50th Annual Scientific and Educational Meeting of the Canadian Association on Gerontoloy (CAG), Virtual.
- DePaul, V., Parniak, S., Hand, C., McGrath, C., Laliberte Rudman, D., Letts, L., Richardson, J., Donnelly, C. (2021). Exploring patterns of physical activity in NORCs. 50th Annual Scientific and Educational Meeting of the CAG, Virtual.
- Donnelly, C., Parniak S., Mills, C., Giberson, M., Chislett, C., White, L., DePaul, V. (2021) Oasis Senior supportive Living: Something to do, someone to do it with. 50th Annual Scientific and Education Meeting of the Canadian Association of Gerontology, Virtual.
- Parniak, S., DePaul, V., DePaul, S., Frymire, C., Donnelly, C. (2021). Naturally occurring retirement communities: A scoping review. 50th Annual Scientific and Educational Meeting of the CAG, Virtual.
- Donnelly, C., Powell, I.*, Chan, F*., Burge, M*., Lynch, S., Fugard, M., Parniak, S. DePaul, V. (2021). Primary care experiences of older adults during COVID-19. Trillium Primary Health Care Research Day Conference, Virtual.
- Leclair, L., Wener, P., Donnelly, C., Hand, C., Letts, L (2021). Occupational therapy outcomes in primary care: Does the evidence support occupational therapists’ contributions to building individual and community resilience? Council of Occupational Therapists for the European Countries (COTEC) & Eur0pean Network of Occupational Threapy in Higher Education (ENOTHE), Virtual.